Oh my goodness, you guys have no idea how badly I was craving Pasta last week, all week. I finally had to do something about it and after spending an hour on Pinterest I finally decided on making a Zucchini Lasagna, and boy I was not disappointed. It was delicious, easy to whip together, and completely satisfied my Pasta craving, tricking myself or not it worked! The recipe for the Lasagna itself is my girlfriend's, because it is the best and I cannot make Lasagna any other way, so it was really just figuring out how to incorporate and cook the Zucchini, which was super simple! Substituting Zucchini for the Noodles is a great way to add more veggies into your dinner, cuts carbs and therefore calories, and allows you to indulge without feeling guilty afterwards! It may be a little late to make for dinner tonight but it would definitely make the perfect dinner tomorrow. Ingredients and Directions below:
1. Zucchini - 2 Thinly Sliced
2. Extra Lean Ground Beef- 1 Package
3. White Onion - 1 Chopped
4. Bell Peppers - 1 Chopped
5. Spinach - 2 Hand Fulls
6. Hot Pepper - 1/4 Chopped
7. Garlic - 3 Cloves Pressed
8. Tomato Sauce - 1 Bottle
9. Mozzarella Cheese - Shredded
10. Parmesan Cheese - Shredded
11. Ricotta Cheese
1. Thinly slice Zucchinis into 1/4 inch thick pieces. Place on a sheet of paper towel and sprinkle with salt, this will help remove additional moisture, then let sit for 10-15 minutes. Note: Use paper towel to bloat excess moisture from Zucchinis before layering into Lasagna.
2. Heat Olive Oil in a frying pan, once hot put in Extra Lean Ground Beef and let cook for approximately 5-7 minutes. Then add in Onion, Bell Peppers, Hot Pepper, and Garlic. Once all Ingredients are cooked through add in Spinach and mix together for a couple of minutes.
3. In a baking dish spread a layer of Tomato Sauce, then an even layer of Zucchini, then the meat and veggie mixture, finish with a layer of Ricotta Cheese, then sprinkling both the Mozzarella and Parmesan on top.
4. Repeat beginning with the Tomato Sauce, until baking dish is full, ending with a layer of Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella Cheese, and a generous amount of Parmesan Cheese.
5. Place in the oven at 400 degrees and let cook for 30-35 minutes.
6. Once finished, remove from oven and let cool for a couple of minutes, then plate and enjoy!