There's nothing better than a warm and sunny Fall weekend, especially when you're in Wine Country; Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario to be exact. Being able to taste yummy wines from multiple Wineries, while taking in the breathtaking vineyards and Fall colours is priceless. Typically I plan ahead and book a Wine Tour (my personal favourite is the Wine Trolley Tour, which you can book through Vintage Hotels), however this time we opted to explore Wine Country on our own, simply by getting a Map from the concierge desk at our hotel, Pillar and Post, and driving from Winery to Winery. This allowed us to visit more Wineries then the usual 2-3 on Wine Tours, and also allowed us to pick and choose which Wineries to visit. My boyfriend and I visited 9 Wineries over the 2 days we were in Niagara-On-The-Lake, and fell in love with some new Wineries and Wines! 9 Wineries may sound like a lot, however when there are more than 2 dozen in the area, we still have many more to explore. We also took advantage of some of the amenities at our amazing hotel, Pillar and Post, by spending most of our second day at the 100 Fountain Spa getting a couples massage, a mani/pedi for me, and spending time in the hot springs. We also had a more than delicious dinner at the Cannery Restaurant, where I had the Mediterranean "Martini" Seafood Linguini, which was absolutely A-MA-ZING! I highly recommend the restaurant! Overall it was a relaxing and romantic weekend away from the city, filled with good wine, great food, and quality time with my boyfriend! Be sure to check out what Wineries we visited and what Wines we recommend at each Winery below.
1. Two Sisters Vineyard - 2012 Cabernet Franc
2. Peller Estates Winery - Ice Cuvée Rosé
3. Reif Estate Winery - 2015 Baco Noir
4. Ravine Winery - 2013 Sand & Grave Riesling | 2015 Cabernet Franc
5. Coyotes Run Winery - 2014 Meritage | 2014 Syrah
6. Chateau des Charmes - Brut Méthode Traditionnelle | 2014 Cabernet Franc
7. Konzelmann Estate Winery - Méthode Cuve Close Riesling | 2014 Gewürztrzminer |
2012 Chardonnay Family Reserve
8. Stratus Vineyards - 2013 Icewine (Red)
9. Colaneri Estate Winery - 2013 Insieme | 2013 Pinot Grigio | 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon |
Some Wineries have tasting flights of 3-4 different wines for a flat fee, where as some charge per tasting (NOTE: usually a tasting is 1oz). Because we were driving and wanted to hit up a bunch of different spots we shared flights or opted for a sample or 2 at each winery.