The weather has officially switched into Fall here in Toronto and that can only mean SOUPS, and delicious homemade soups that is. This creamy Cauliflower Chowder is the perfect comfort food but made with a healthy twist. Not only is this Soup Vegetarian it can also be Gluten Free by simply substituting the Flour for GF Flour. Overall this Soup was super yummy, surprisingly filling, and perfect for those cold damp Fall nights, and to make it even better it literally took under 30 minutes to prep and cook, once Cauliflower was finished in the oven. Ingredients and Directions are below!
1. Head Of Cauliflower - Chopped
2. Spanish Onion (1) - Chopped
3. Carrots (3) - Chopped
4. Celery Stalks (3) - Chopped
5. Garlic Cloves (3) - Pressed
6. Unsweetened Almond Milk - 1 1/4 Cups
7. Vegetable/Chicken Broth - 5 Cups
8. All-Purpose Flour - 1/4 Cup
9. Olive Oil - 1 Tbsp
10. Butter - 1/4 Cup
11. Bay Leaf (1) - Whole
12. Dried Thyme - 1/2 Tsp
13. Cheddar Cheese - 1/2 Cup Shredded
14. Salt and Pepper - To Taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degree. Place Cauliflower and Garlic on a baking sheet, drizzle with Olive Oil and sprinkle with Salt and Pepper (for taste) until well coated. Put pan in oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until Cauliflower is tender and lightly browned.
2. While Cauliflower is in the oven, melt butter over medium-high heat adding Onion and cooking for 2-3 minutes. Then add Carrots and Celery, cooking for another 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
3. Add the Cauliflower, Garlic, Bay Leaf, and Dried Thyme to the pot, then slowly adding in Flour over Vegetables, mixing together until Flour disappears or Vegetables are evenly coated.
4. Pour in the Vegetable/Chicken Broth and stir. Let Soup come to a boil, then let simmer for approximately 10 minutes. Mix in Almond Milk and Shredded Cheese until Cheese is melted and Chowder broth is creamy. Add additional Salt and Pepper, if necessary, to taste.
5. Ladle Cauliflower Chowder into bowls, serve, and enjoy!